Sunday, July 29, 2007

Ostracion Meleagris - Blue Boxfish....


This is a picture of a male Blue Boxfish I took last month before my flash died on the camera. The blue really pops out on this one.

It was a gorgeous day today. We've had a fair amount of rain the last couple weeks, but it's been dry today.

The manta dive has been hopping... we had 10 last night and Bob and my friend, who's boat I'm using, are out on another charter tonight with another group. Our little stretch of charters is done for a few days after tonight and then it get's busy again.

OK... Whohoo!! On the charter two days ago we went to a site where we had a fish that is among our more rare fish here in Kona - the cousin of the Blue Boxfish, the Whitley's Boxfish. We actually see the females of this particular species with good frequency, but the males are very infrequent. I've seen one maybe 5 times, Bob's seen one in Kona maybe once or twice (we've both seen dragon morays more than male Whitley's). So I briefed it and described it and one of my customers actually found it on the site!!!! I didn't have enough time to wait for it to get into a good lighting situation (remember, my flash died) but I did manage to snap a couple shots that at least showed up. I'll post pictures of it a post or two from now.

Speaking of rare fish!! Tonight's charter was sort of a divided charter, we did the first dive with a couple of divers, and then met another group who was going to dive on the night dive. On the first dive, Bob found a Hawaiian Morwong. It's the first one he's ever seen here, I've yet to see one. I'm hopeful I can see it and get a shot at some time.

later,

Steve

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hi,
My name is Laura, and I work with MyOutdoorTv.com. If you haven't heard, MyOutdoorTV is the #1 website for outdoor TV shows. We recently added a blog section to our site. We love your blog, and we added it as a link. Thanks for providing such great content, and let us know if there's any content we can provide you with. Also, if you wouldn't mind sending us your address (my email is lhippensteel@myoutdoortv.com), we would love to send you a free hat. Thanks again and keep blogging!
All the best,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Great photo. It almost looks as if the coral is gently holding him.